Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Craving Killers: Spinach Hummus

I love how versatile hummus is! This one is especially yummy, and I eat it on everything. A fun suggestion: thin it out a little with water and then serve as a sauce with rice or pasta! (Or don't water it down, it's fine as it is. XD). I also have it as a sauce on top of my baked potatoes. It goes well with everything. :)

Spinach Hummus

Classic hummus goes deliciously green with a few handfuls of spinach thrown into the mix.
yield: ABOUT 2 CUPS

prep time: 5 MINUTES

total time: 5 MINUTES

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained, but reserve the liquid (about 1 1/3 cups)
  • 2 cups baby spinach leaves 
  • 1/3 cup tahini
  • 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon Paprika, and then a pinch for topping, if desired.
Note: I prefer this with strong garlic. If your garlic isn't strong the flavor of the hummus will fall flat. Add just a little more based on your taste preferences, and feel free to do the same with the other seasonings. Most of the seasonings you add what the recipe suggests, and then, flavor to taste. 

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Add everything but the liquid from the chickpeas to the pitcher of a blender or food processor. Pulse, adding the bean liquid as needed to get things moving, until the hummus is completely smooth.
  2. Taste and add additional salt if desired.
  3. Scoop into a serving dish and sprinkle paprika if desired.
This recipe is a really good one...but I find I'm always tweaking it a little bit to get the exact flavor that I like. However, I just ordered better garlic (the last one had no taste at all) so I think that will greatly improve the consistency of the flavor. If that's the case, I'll just update the post. Meanwhile, if any of you try this and find something you like, let me know! 

- Shayla

SLENDER

No comments:

Post a Comment