Sunday, April 5, 2015

First Time Running With Wanlass

I remember the first time that I went to run with my good friend Becca. We were both serving as missionaries for the LDS church (the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). It was my first time out teaching, so she was my trainer. In the end, she became my good friend and mentor.

Our days always started with exercising, and Becca was an avid runner. I would run occasionally before I met her, but more because I knew that it was an effective way to lose weight then because I actually liked it. But Becca, Becca loves running.

That first morning was especially beautiful. We had decided that we were going to run outside and get to the know the area since we were both new to the neighborhood. We had been there for about a week, but this was the first real run we were going to take.

We ran up the stairs from our basement apartment and ran into our land-lady as she was getting ready for work. Jan Scarlet was a small woman with sparkling eyes. We loved her. She had a chocolate bowl that she kept stocked just for us, and though we'd complain that she was trying to sabotage our goals, we loved it.

"Where are you headed?" She asked, glancing down at our running shorts and t-shirts.

"We're going to go running! I'm so excited!" Becca enthused.

"Oh are you?" She nodded toward the window. "Have you looked outside?"

Immediately I ran to the window. The trees were covered with a thick layer of snow, a beautiful contrast with the blossoms that covered it. The grass was covered as well, but the sidewalk, still warm from the 50 degree weather of the day before, was clear. It was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen.


I looked over at Becca who had joined me at the window. Her eyes were bright, and her smile wide. I turned to Jan.

"Yep, we're going out."

And so we ran.

I didn't run very quickly, but Becca was kind enough to go slowly and we loved the snow. The air was crisp, the snow beautiful. The tree branches hung lowly, and we had to duck to keep from getting dumped on by the snow.

I started to love running that day. I still go running in the snow, but I've never gone a run that felt as magical as that one did.

Thanks for the run Becca.

-Shayla

SLENDER

No comments:

Post a Comment